Monday 16 January 2012

"Beanies for Baldies", A Story Of A Courageous Little Boy

I used to post a lot of Etsy products when I first started my blog and realise I haven't done this for a while but today I'm going to share far more than just an etsy shop, this is a story about a very brave and courageous little boy called Preston Allen. 

Preston's only 10 years old but has already had cancer twice in his life.  Preston comes from Murfreesboro, Tennessee in the USA and was first diagnosed with cancer at only 5 months old, battling his disease for the next 5 years of his life.  8 months after Preston's initial diagnosis his father was also diagnosed with cancer (stage 4 colon cancer). Preston's father fought his cancer for 8 years but sadly Prestons father passed away in April 2010. This was devastation enough to Preston's family and very sadly in August 2011 Preston was again diagnosed with  cancer this time Hodgkins Lymphoma.  

Preston is now undergoing treatment for his cancer and this has caused him to loose all his hair so Preston decided to make a hat for himself  "The beanie for baldies" he called it.  Preston then came up with the idea of making the beanies for other children at the hospital where he attends treatment.  With the help of his mum Tonya, Preston has now started an etsy shop to help pay for the materials so he can make hats for lots of other children. One hat costs only US$5.00 and the money from one hat pays for the material for that hat and in turn makes three more hats which Preston will give away to 3 other children undergoing chemotherapy.  

Preston in  one of his hats

Preston has come up with some really cute fleecy beanies in lots of bright patterns. "Beanies for Baldies" currently has some new stock, I recommend you visit his store, you can read about Prestons background "here".  I bought a hat myself but instead of Preston shipping it to New Zealand I asked for it to be donated back and given to a little girl, this is the pattern of the hat I chose below....I seem to be drawn to pink at the moment. 


It would be lovely to help support Preston on his mission, he's already made 65 hats and dontated them to the Vanderbilt Children's hospital and 45 to the hospital in Denver. If you would like to buy a hat, make a donation or do what I did, buy one and donate it back, please visit "Beanies for Baldies" for more details. I could not think of a more deserving little shop.


ps...There are lots more designs available.

Lee oxo
&
Poppy


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. When I started asking people to help share his story, I had no idea the impact it would have. But, we all know, if you want help with ANYTHING, reach out to bloggers - they NEVER let us down.

    This is one fantastic little guy. I'll be interviewing him in his home this Thursday night, and doing a little video too, and then I'll be posting that on my blog on Friday.

    Thank you so much for donating a hat. I'm sure those little kids get so excited when they receive one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Polly, I wanted to share Preston's story as my mum has been battling cancer for two years now and I wanted to help Preston to sell more hats. I would love to link up to your blog when you have made your video. I will add a link to my post on Preston back to your blog when your video is ready. Please email me and let me know but meanwhile I will keep an eye on your blog.

    Thank you

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee, thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story about his shop and his amazing and fantastic warrior story and his huge heart. Hope folks visit his store and help out. I recentrly subscribe and enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maribel, Preston certainly does have a huge heart thinking about all the other children. Thank you also for joining my blog.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. What a heart breaking story, but what a wonderful thing Preston is doing. That's a great idea to buy a hat and gift it back to the kids. I'm going to check out the Etsy site now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vic, I agree and think its wonderful if other people can support him in this generous venture of his.

      Delete
  5. God Bless Preston and his family. I donate to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. It is a very good organization, and helps kids with cancer every day. I love his little beanie. It is so beautiful that you bought a hat yourself for the little girl.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sheri, I will take a look at St Jude's Children's Research Hospital as I would like to find out more about it. I don't know who got my hat, I just requested it be given to a little girl because it was bright pink :)

      Delete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.