Love this this cute cake bunting from Sweet Living Magazine. You'll find a link at the end of this post to print out the bunting. You can then cut out the flags, fold and glue over a piece of string then affix to your cake with wooden skewers.
I'm excited to be giving away a gorgeous book from Penguin called "Cake Star" by Jade Lipton in a few weeks time. Jade was one of last years judges on "New Zealands Hottest Home Baker". Jade's book is full of wonderful ideas and images for cake and cookie decorating. You can have a sneek peek inside on my Facebook page. If your not the greatest cake decorator in the world, these little ideas I found below are easy for anyone to re-create. (Please note the images below are not from Jade's book Cake Star).
Some little cake inspiration for Mothers Day...
Love this idea above from "Best Cupcake Ideas" - You can buy a ready made flower or even place a real rosebud on top or if your artistic enough, make your own flower.
Easy Peasy! Individual Berry Sponge Cakes. I love simple ideas and after seeing some little rasperry sponges, I came up with this 5 minute idea which I tried out on my mum today and she loved them as they are so light.
Image : Lee Caroline - A World of Inspiration
5 Minute Berry Sponge Cakes
- 1 store bought sponge cake
- fresh raspberries/blackberries or blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of blackberry or other fruit jam
- Fresh whipping cream or butter cream (I prefer fresh cream as its light and not as sweet)
- 1 deep round Cookie or circular metal cake cutter
- Icing sugar/powdered sugar for dusting
- Cut your sponge into 2.5" diameter circles with a deep cookie cutter in the shape of a circle
- slice the sponges in half, they should be around 3/4" deep for each slice
- whip your cream and layer on top of half your circles
- Mix your jam with your fruit and scoop a reasonable amount out to cover the top of the lower sponge
- Place your second peice of sponge on top of this
- Finish with a dusting of icing/powdered sugar
Credit source: Lee Caroline - A World of Inspiration
You could buy these Lavender sea salts from Terrain for $24 or be creative and DIY and tie on a pretty tag (recipe below)
Basic Bath Salt Recipe
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- 2 cups Coarse sea salt or Dead Sea Salts
- 5 drops of high grade lavender oil
- Lavender food colouring or mix (5 drops of blue and 4 drops of red colouring together)
- Combine Epsom salts and sea salt together in a glass or glazed porcelain bowl.
- mix the food colourings together in a small bowl to desired colour (I prefer pastel shades)
- Mix the colouring into the salts mixture stirring thoroughly
- Spread the salts onto a lined tray or cookie sheet and dry in an oven on warm temperature, this is to prevent clumping.
- When dry place in your mason jar and tie on a pretty tag
Make sure when mixing the salts that you wear gloves as the lavender oil is quite potent and you don't want to get the oils on your skin or in your eyes.
Love these mothers day cards from Rifle Paper Company, only $4.50 each...
Lovely botanical Journal - $15 also from Rifle Paper Paper Company
Earl Grey Apothecary candle from Terrain $20.00 (Terrain are offering free shipping on Mothers Day gifts)
Lavender organic soy candle from Terrain $24.00
Gorgeous Peony Archival Print from Cush and Nooks - $16.00
Linen and moleskin Rose cushion also from Cush & Nooks
Sweet apron from Vintage Roses Love $38.95
Love these Maisy slippers from Wallace Cotton NZ$39.90
Link for Bunting download...
Download the Mothers Day Bunting from Sweet Living Magazine
Sharing this week with:
Rae Gun Ramblings
Rae Gun Ramblings