Friday 29 June 2012

DIY Mini Vintage Cake Stand

I love vintage cups and saucers and have my own small collection of miss-matched floral tea sets. Today I'm going to show you how to upcycle some old china to create a sweet little cake stand. I purchased my vintage cup and saucer at a hospice shop, you'll easily find little sets such as these in second hand shops, salvation army or garage sales, even grandmas house ☺



What you need:

Vintage cup and plate (make sure your cup has a flat base so that the plate will sit level)
Glue (suitable for china)
Clear cellophane (for gift wrap)
Scissors
Ribbon
  • Place your cup upside down on a flat surface, run the glue around the lower lip of the base of the cup where it will touch the plate.
  • Place your plate on top, making sure it is even each side, you may need to get down to eye level to check.
  • Carefully place something heavy on top (a cup filled with rice works well).
  • Allow to dry per instructions on glue packet.
As a lovely gift, just simply add some chocolates or little cakes.

Wrap in clear cellophane and tie with a ribbon and voila! a lovely hostess or mothers day gift.

More vintage love - I used Style Me Pretty to create this little collage




                    
              If you love vintage cups and saucers visit  my "pinterest" collection of tea cups to see lots of pretty examples.


Next week I have a wonderful book give-a-way, "Cake Star" by Jade Lipton. The book is full of fabulous cake and cookie decorating ideas with beautiful photography by Paul Giggle. The easy step by step instructions with templates will enable you to impress your friends and family for sure.


Above: Images from Cakestar by Jade Lipton, published by Penguin Books

                                                                              






                    




15 comments:

  1. I love that idea of using old china to make a vintage cake stand. I've got quite a few old pieces that used to belong to my grandmother. Some of them I use on my dresser to store jewellery in. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vic for passing by each week :), what a great idea for the cup on the dresser, I think I will do that with my earrings.

      Lee ☺

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! I love your style!

    Thanks for your sweet comment about my kitchen. Your kitchen plans sound exciting!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful! I am definitely going to copy this .

    Thanks,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles, you can make all different sizes too, I am making some really jazzy ones to post on my FB page.

      Lee ☺

      Delete
  4. What an adorable and creative idea! I love it!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the little cake stands, the china is beautiful - thanks for the inspiration. Found your link at Savvy Southern Style. Thanks for sharing. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, some of the china is my mums. Thank you for passing through, hope you come back again Mary.

      Lee ☺

      Delete
  6. What a cute idea!!! Your treats look lovely on these little handmade stands!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cake stand, I hope you don't mind but have pinned it on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, that's like the cutest, simplest idea ever! One could take a treat and make it so much more special by doing this from any combination of cup and saucer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only just seen this reply, only a couple of years late sorry Cindy. Yes you can make these from some of those inherited cups and saucers that have sentimental value.

      Lee :)

      Delete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.