Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Look - French/Mediterranean Dining Room and Table setting

Some people look at an interior Design photo such as the one below and then think, gosh I wish I had that look but don't know where to start.  If you start with the basics and then build up with accessories its really quite simple.  You don't need to have the "exact" table or accessories, you can create this style easily using similar items.  The most important thing is to keep with the overall patina of the larger peices such as the table and armoire. You will not achieve this look with a similar or exact piece of furniture in mahogany for instance. I have purposely selected pieces that are a little bit different, although they are still within the same theme. For example the table, a weathered bleached cross leg table that is designed more for bench seating.  I have taken a similar weathered table, still having that farm house look but without the cross legs.  I have also chosen chairs in preference to bench seating for added comfort.  The chairs still have the French influence so overall the style is in keeping with the reference photo.    


My first board I have collected items that can be purchased anywhere in the world without indicating shops or prices.  My second board items are from Freedom NZ/AUS and I have indicated prices to give an idea of how much it may cost to put together a similar look through a high street store. I would recommend if you wish to approach this style that you shop around for items and not purchase all in one place like Freedom or Pottery Barn, it was just easier for me to source them quickly for you and they are the cheaper end of the market.  Below this post are some retail shops that will be sure to have similar items.  Part of putting together a look like this is the fun of "shopping" itself.  What is important is that you can achieve any look by either spending a lot of money and buying authentic or by buying good reproductions and achieving the look without spending thousands of dollars.

 Image, Delta Magazine, Photography by Don Beard














All items above except sisal flooring available from Freedom  (Please note the prices are from Freedom NZ branch and some are their current sale prices.)
 Dover Sisal from Artisan

Further shops for  "French Style" in Auckland:

French Antiques.co.nz - lovely selection of furnishings, accessories, some beautiful chandeliers.

Romantique - Importers of French furniture and accessories from France with 2 retail shops in Auckland, one in Newmarket and their other one in Grey Lynn.  Details can be seen on their website link I have added.

Yvonne Saunders Antiques - This is where I discovered my French shutters for my bedroom makeover. Yvonne's shop is a collectors paradise, you really need to spend some time looking around as it is stocked from top to bottom with French and English antique furniture.

USA stores:

The Painted Cottage - An etsy store featured previously

European Antique Market - Importers of French Furniture and accessories in Louisville, Kentucky.



Hope you had a wonderful day.
Lee x
                   











6 comments:

  1. I love how you broke it down and gave options, making it achievable.

    I was scrolling down and spotted the cheesecake...I will be making that!!

    Thank you so much for your visit and lovely comment, I do appreciate it.
    xxx DJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you DJ for your comment, I am glad you liked the way I presented the post :)...The cheesecake is a hit I think, the photos are from my friend in Australia who made it and photographed it for me...let me know how it turns out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This room is incredible. And you boards are amazing. I can hardly wait to view your entire blog. New follower!! Hugs, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jan, my blog is still evolving but I see a direction and I plan to be doing a lot more style boards as my readers seem to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely style! You have a blog full of inspirational pictures. I'm a new follower! I'll be happy if you follow me back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.