Tuesday 4 June 2013

Add Some Wow Factor To Your Hallway

Recently a friend asked for some ideas to update her hallway, she was saying how currently it was used as a walk way to the upstairs living or the downstairs flat, however she wanted to add some "wow" factor.  My friends hallway is a generous, square shaped area with a staircase leading off to the left to the upstairs living area and a doorway opposite their front door leading to the downstairs flat.  I mentioned how a circular rug would be a great starter piece, the rug would define the area and other pieces of furniture could be introduced to create the feeling of a room, rather than just a thoroughfare. From the idea of a circular rug I have created a mood board with an eclectic feel.  

  • A Circular rug is the central focus.
  • A single chair and small side table where one might sit and read a book.
  • A solid white-washed wooden sideboard with carved detail mimics the pattern of the upholstery on the chair.
  • The Ikat cushion introduces more pattern, reflecting the colours of the rug.
  • A stunning glass mirror  helps create the wow factor and two matching lamps give ambiance to the area at night. 
  • I would complete the accessories by adding a large vase of fresh flowers on the sideboard.

Hallways are entrances that lead to another room, mostly they are walkways but it doesn't have to be like this, especially if you have a wide entrance. With well chosen furniture, art and accessories such as mirrors and lighting, you can create a welcoming area where people can linger.  I have chosen several different designs, formal, casual, country and eclectic whatever your style I hope you will be inspired to add the necessary touches to your hallway/entrance to give it that "Wow" factor.


















Images via: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9


We hope you've found some inspiration, I would love to hear any innovative design ideas you may have for a welcoming hallway.

If you would like some more ideas for your own entrance/hall, check out my Pinterest board.
If you need a little help with your vignettes then catch up with my post on vignette/console styling....Read more here

I will be sharing this post with the following blog parties:





2 comments:

  1. I love it when hallways and entrances are treated as spaces worthy of great design. Your examples are all gorgeous, and I love your idea for your friend's hallway. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog you have! I love the pictures in your header. So many beautiful pictures to look at. Thanks for inviting me over. :0
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.