Saturday 10 August 2013

French Beds - French style bedrooms

Most of us dream of visiting France, walking the streets of Paris, or basking in the sunshine of Provence. Today however, it's not necessary to endure a 14 hour flight or busy channel crossing to experience French style. Within a short drive of my home, there is an authentic French market, a wonderful French bakery, not to mention several shops with antique and reproduction French furniture. Yes, we 'Francophiles' can create a feeling of France without having to travel!

With France and bedrooms on my mind, this post focuses on French style beds/bedrooms. In my mind I visualise two distinct styles; French country and Versailles. 18th Century French country think, linens, rustic floors and less ornate headboards. Versailles, opulent, lush and romantic with velvet's, silk, satin and ornately carved beds. Of course, an original French bed would be an outlandish expense, however, recently I discovered a London-based company, And So To Bed  with beautifully detailed, reproduction French beds. Ok, I realise they are a long way from New Zealand, however as a large number of my readers are from the UK, I knew they would be of interest. Creating a French look to a bedroom is so much easier when you have an exquisite statement bed to work with. Whether your choice is country, romantic or opulent, their elegant beds will give your bedroom an undoubtedly French look.

After preparing this post and selecting my favourite beds, last night I retired to my ordinary bed lusting after their charming Juliet cane bed below. I love the detail on the headboard, it is not overly ornate, just enough to say "I am French". This style of bed would look fabulous with white-washed furniture or darker antique pieces as seen in their room setting. The great thing about And So To Bed, French beds is they can be custom made in a variety of finishes to suit your decor... Ok, enough detail, I will let you see for yourselves.

Floral cane bed

Louis panelled bed

Juliet cane bed 

Bonaparte Bed 

Bonaparte deep buttoned bed

Versailles silver leaf bed

Image sources:  And So To Bed - London


If you are a lover of all things French, I hope you found some inspiration today to help you create a heavenly French style bedroom. I wonder which is your favourite?




Sharing this post with the following blogs:




9 comments:

  1. Hi Lee, what a beautiful blog you have, Im your newest follower! Found you from My Romantic Home, I just posted my finished coffee table! :) Hope you get a chance to stop by and visit me too! have a wonderful weekend! hugs kat =^.^= at boulder dam cottage, boulder city nv usa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Kat and adding yourself as a follower, I will go and look at your coffee table. "Boulder dam cottage", what a lovely name for a house. You have a great weekend.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh that bed is the most divine, it is just so lovely and conjures up visions or a Paris night, I love it..I did love all the day beds as well but the green one is to die for..thanks for sharing..come for a visit, I have a post that looks like the jungles of Auckland...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing, I love the distressed finish on the first bed and the wonderful cane work. Thank you for taking time to comment Phyllis :)

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Hi Lee, These are gorgeous beds! I looked for over a year for a cane French style bed and finally bought a new one on Ebay. Thanks for linking to the Open House party.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sherry, do you have your bed on your blog? I have not seen any beds as beautiful as these in Auckland. They look very authentic for reproductions.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just beautiful beds... Too bad they're not in the US..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, I love actually Juliet cane bed..wow! what a divine bed it is! I'm planning to get marry soon. So I need like this kind of romantic bed for my bedroom..Bed is looking so gorgeous to me..other beds are also looking amazing..I think every French Bedroom Furniture is beautiful because of it's style. oh! I've forgotten to tell that your blog is really useful..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kety,

    Thank you for taking time to comment on my post. The Juliette bed is one of my favourite too. Unfortunately I am in NZ so cannot purchase one. However, I also like the Louis Panelled bed and am currently having my bedroom re-decorated and styled. I am actually thinking of trying to make a headboard similar to the Louis one, if I have success it will be on my blog with the room makeover in a couple of months time. I say a couple of months as I have to wait 8 weeks for my window shutters :(

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.