Wednesday 27 August 2014

Small Space Living - A Designers 69 square metre apartment


Above: using a large sconce as a console is a great space saving idea

In Australasia and the USA large homes are prevalent, although I have scaled down to a small cottage of around 120 square metres, with some extras such as an en-suite and walk in robe, combined with the location to the beach and city it is hard to beat. However, the one thing I miss is a separate dining room. So, when I came across an interior designer who has chosen to downscale to 69 square metres, I wanted to see how she has utilised the space.


Katie Gagnon of Blue Moon Trading Company chose to purchase a smaller property to enable her to cut down on travelling time and live the life she wanted. Her 69 Square metre apartment is decorated throughout with white walls and woodwork which help create a sense of space.  Katie says it has everything she would want in a larger home and I see she even has designated dining space. If you like Katie's style, I recently featured a fabulous project of hers, I have added a link at the end of this post.


Above: White walls and light toned furniture help create a sense of space

Above: Removing doors can open up a small space. The curves of the arches are a nice architectural touch

Above: Katie has chosen natural materials, her style very much reflects her store's products
Above: Simplicity in this simple bathroom

Above: Continuing the natural tones through to the bedroom

Above: The compact kitchen has everything required

Above: A dining nook

Above: Katie has created a little outdoor area to relax on those balmy summer days

If you want to see more of Katie's style you may enjoy reading a previous post, Organic Rustic Style where Katie has combined classic French pieces with a rustic touch (as seen below).


Image sources:The Blue Moon Trading Company| Lovely photography by Mina Brinkey







Sharing this post with the following blogs:


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful small space! It is just delightful. Thanks so much for leaving a comment for me telling me about this post. Your blog is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat for visiting, I think this space works because of the neutral scheme and slightly minimalist approach to furnishing. Too much furniture would overwhelm a small space such as this. At the same time, if Katie wanted to introduce a little colour, she could do this with some throw pillows.

      I hope you get a chance to visit again.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Beautiful home! My house is about the size of yours. I have lived here for fifteen years. There have been times when I wanted more space but now I really love my home and wouldn't want to change it. I just recently discovered your blog and have enjoyed catching up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dyanna for taking time to comment.

      I think the longer we are in a home and the more love and style we have created in it, regardless of size it is becomes harder to move.

      I have only been in this home for 3 and a half years and I love it, except I cannot have a large dining table set up. Instead I have a drop leaf circular table that is used as a console and pulled out when I have people to dine. Mainly I use the outside table and entertain in summer. I am looking at a small extension though and I will be blogging about the renovation of my kitchen and the possibility of turning the tiniest laundry room into a butlers pantry. I hope you get to visit and follow my progress once it starts.

      Lee

      Delete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.