Thursday 16 August 2012

Mix of Rustic and French Style In A Designers Cottage

First I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words and condolences on the loss of my mum. I'm now trying to get back some sort of normality after caring for mum so long, but I know this will take a long time as I miss her terribly.  I hope to begin painting again soon and use it as part of the healing process. My mother asked me to throw myself into painting and I plan to do this for her, she will be my inspiration and my first exhibition to be held in New Zealand (now 2013), will be in her memory. For my first post for a few weeks, I'd like to share an inspiring interior with you.

This beautiful 1936 renovated cottage belongs to designer Jill Sharp Brinson and her husband. The house has wonderful bones, just look at those fabulous beamed ceilings.  Beams give immense character to a home and can help determine your interior design style.  I love the way Jill's incorporated iron into her decor such as the industrial table in the dining room, the gorgeous arched feature window and patio door and smaller items such as the suspended wrought iron lanterns above the dining table. All these chosen pieces perfectly compliment the rustic beams and iron balustrade in the living area.

Look for the special 'designer' touches in this home, the wooden carved doves placed along the rustic shelf  in the entrance way, the display of white porcelain on the shelf above the arched door.  For me my favourite room is the dining area with it's fitted display cabinets, I love the chicken wire detail, doesn't the wicker chair in the dining area look perfect with these cabinets. All in all, an eclectic little cottage with an distinctively "French" feel to it



I'm going to steal this lovely idea above and place a shelf above my front entrance door to display some lovely items of my mums.












Photography by Simon Upton, images via House Beautiful.



Lee
&
Poppy oxo




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful home Lee! Glad to hear you will be painting and exhibiting in 2013, very exciting and something really positive to work towards. Hope you are taking good care of yourself, sending hugs to you and Poppy! xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this home too, thanks Kirsty for your comments and hugs for me and Poppy.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous, and I love that great big vanity in the bathroom with the bone inlay mirror.

    Painting can be very therapeutic, I can't wait to see your new work. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the vanity too, I hope to build within the next few years and when I do I would love to have a similar vanity in my ensuite. I plan to keep clippings of designs I love in my pinterest for when I do build my dream home.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  3. So happy to see you back, and with thoughts of painting in your mind. That's wonderful, and what a great thing for your mom to wish for you. Your work is unimaginably beautiful, i can't wait to see what you create. Beautiful home... i love the room with the wicker chair too... and the natural elements. Now you have me thinking of putting a shelf over my door!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy, yes getting back into the blog is helpful as it takes my mind off things. As you know there is a lot of time taken up looking for new inspiration to post. I think the shelf idea is great, definitely out of an old worn piece of wood though don't you think.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful space! I love your blog - so glad I found you!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for discovering my blog Jennelise and taking the time to leave a message.

      Lee :)

      Delete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.