Wednesday 14 January 2015

Kitchen Inspiration - Week One, Hamptons Style


Last Friday I featured a post on butlers pantries and one of my readers made a comment on Facebook that she was looking for some kitchen ides. Of course a kitchen comes before a butlers pantry, so I decided to create a few posts on different kitchen styles, beginning today with my favourite style, 'Hamptons'.

Most of you have probably seen the movie, 'Something's Gotta Give' starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, If you didn't get a chance to see the movie, you must, it is one of my all time favourites and I am sure you will love it too. Something's Gotta Give is filmed on location in a Hamptons beach house and the kitchen in the movie is an iconic example of classic Hamptons style.

2.

Of course, you don't have to live in the Hamptons to achieve this look, it is a timeless style that can be adapted to suit homes both large and small. It is this look and feel I aim to create in my cottage, classic, yet fresh and relaxed.

How do we get this look? Last year I covered some posts on Hooked on Hamptons and Hamptons Style, discussing the popular, relaxed coastal look. At that time, my focus wasn't on kitchens, however, it is simple to achieve this style.
  • White joinery in a classic style (custom or kit set)
  • Contrasting black or dark granite bench tops look fabulous. White or greys work just as well if you only have a small space and don't want your bench tops to stand out too much  
  • antique style iron handles to compliment although a contemporary handle can work just as well
  • Lighting is simple and usually a bank of two or three pendant lights (depending on the size of your kitchen island). These can be either large glass or polished steel pendants or a more contemporary look such as rattan or the shades seen in image 1.
  • Floors look best in dark stained wood, however I think that white washed wood looks great in a kitchen of this style

There are many wonderful examples of Hamptons look kitchens so I have picked out a few of my favourites to share with you.

All of these examples portray a little Hamptons, although a couple are more contemporary Hamptons, such as images 1,4 and 10.  When you are designing your own kitchen in this style, inject some of your personality by choosing lighting and handles you love, they don't have to conform to the list above once you have the basics kitchen in place you can have a little fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.