Monday 14 September 2015

A Stunning Surprise Lies at the Rear of a Traditional Villa


Saturday I was discussing lighting ideas for my kitchen...(link here), and one image in particular imprinted on my mind. An amazing, light filled open plan living space which made me want to explore more of this home.

After finding the architects, Roy Hodgson Design, I discovered this space is a rear living extension to a traditional Australian villa. Soaring, vaulted ceilings make the space look huge and the inclusion of a central atrium fills the exension with light. Who would have thought from the front exterior shot (below), that this home would be hiding such a fabulous space at the rear.

Throughout, the interior design has been kept neutral, however, the addition of decorative pieces such as the wall mounted polo sticks on the original, living room wall keep it interesting. The black accents of the mirrors, along with the dark furniture add contrast to the white walls and ceilings. Rich, dark wooden floors envelop the house and add warmth to the white palette. The overall renovation and extension retain the character of the villa yet have turned it into a light filled, spacious home that any villa lover would be envious of.


Vaulted ceilings are fabulous and exposed beams add so much character to a room. Even a small room can benefit from ceilings like this as it makes a space appear so much larger. I noticed that Josh and Charlotte from the 'The Block Triple Threat', exposed the beams in their master bedroom and got a score of 10/10. Sadly, I am not able to have ceilings like this in my kitchen but think I might steal the idea of the rattan lights for my island.

I hope you had a lovely weekend wherever you are in the world, it is a glorious sunny, spring day in Auckland, so I am off for a walk down the beach.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.