Tuesday 14 May 2013

English Country House Style

Whenever I post an interior which evokes "country", it draws a lot of attention, so I am hoping this interior will do the same. The  location is in Cambridgeshire, England, a county full of  little streams, ancient bridges and beautiful old country homes. This gorgeous home is set in 1.5 acres of lovely gardens with an interior mix of  what I would describe, Country/French style, however, it does have its elements of surprise. The fireplaces  in the sitting and dining rooms are antique French stone and the owners are currently restoring a beautiful herringbone parquet floor to the downstairs of the house. 

One thing I noticed in particular about this interior is the lovely vignettes. Vignette styling can be a bit of an art, however, these owners have perfectly mastered it, if you want some tips on how to create a vignette, I have placed a link to my last post, beneath the images below. Mixed in with the English country style, the owners have cleverly incorporated some contemporary pieces such as the mirrored sphere lights in the living area, they are subtle statement pieces, add interest and are most surely are a talking piece for guests. I think what attracts me most to this beautiful interior is the wide use of interesting textures such as the distressed panels on the wall in the hall with the over sized  bleached wood bowl  below, both standing out against the beautifully polished parquet floors. It shows you how a few statement pieces can be combined to create a stunning look in what would have otherwise been simply been a plain corner.  It goes back to my favourite saying, "A 'house' is just four walls, a 'home' is what you make of it". Adding  special touches and textures such as Marble, French stone and velvet, have helped create a fabulous interior I am sure is a joy to live in. 






























And of course a home isn't complete without a cute little dog...


All images are from jj Locations, this interior is available for photo/film shoots, please contact them direct.



If you want to know more about styling/vignettes, I have some tips and images to help you on your way, you can read more...here, Creating the Perfect Console Vignette.

We hope you had a lovely weekend, we are basking in Autumn sunshine in Auckland which makes up for the terrible rain last week. Yesterday Poppy and I went for a long walk along the  bays beaches with my friend Kathy and today I plan another walk when I press "publish" :).


I will be sharing this post with the following link parties:






8 comments:

  1. I found your link on the Rain on a Tin Roof link party - these photos are absolutely gorgeous!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie for hopping over and reading my latest post, I am so pleased you enjoyed the images. This is a fabulous home and I was as excited to share it as I was about discovering it.

      I do hope you will visit again, I love to share gorgeous images and hints and tips for creating a beautiful home.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  2. Using such a subtle colour scheme, you need lots of texture, and they certainly have that, it's just gorgeous. I'm so envious of the parquet floors. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Vic, the parquet floors are stunning, we don't see many of those in New Zealand but I think some of the 70's houses in NZ have them.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  3. I live in England myself, so it is always interesting to see new insipiring english homes:) However this one is a little to empty for me but I love the kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly most of the rooms are more minimalist than country cottage. A few rugs wouldn't go amiss but I guess after the proud renovation of the beautiful parquet floors they didn't want to cover them up.

      Lucky you heading into Summer :), I am envious sitting here on a cold Autumn day in NZ but no rain thankfully.

      Lee :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this is such a beautiful home. I love the herringbone floors, green with envy. Thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see such quality in your post. Even if it is not my budget the better the design the more inspiration I find. Michele portlandiavintage@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.