Monday 4 April 2016

Update on my Beach House- The Feature Fireplace


Recently I shared the progress of my beach house, this week it's about the fireplace. I have a thing about fireplaces, my very first home didn't have one and I felt like something was missing. Every home I have lived in since has had a fireplace so it was natural that I would want to make a feature fireplace at the beach house.

The original house plans included a chimney and inset gas fire and Aaron always makes a feature of the fireplaces in his homes. At first I was thinking of a minimalist look with vertical tongue and groove in a white washed effect similar to image 2. However, as the build progressed and Aaron made suggestions, I realised that I needed to re-think my idea to better suit the traditional Hamptons style kitchen at the other end of the space. 

I spotted the fireplace in image 3, I liked the simplicity yet it also had a traditional look, plus the battens would work perfectly with the battened hallways. Aaron replicated this look perfectly as you can see in the image above. I have chosen a stone look tile to go around the fireplace. I didn't want to go black because the inset fire is black and with the large space for a TV above it may have been too much black. I was thinking later on I can maybe put some small barn sliding style doors to hide the inset TV.

My initial inspiration....
4. Above: This is the Rinnai Neo gas fire that is inset into the chimney, I love the driftwood effect which I thought perfect for a seaside location. 

5.Above: The fireplace in progress and below the fire surround completed

6. Above: The stone surround perfectly compliments the engineered oak floor. Just waiting for the driftwood to be placed in the fire - Building by Paradise Building 

I am really excited as since drafting up this post the house has progressed hugely. yesterday we went down to see the work and I took lots of photos which I will be sharing later in the week. Landscaping is not completed yet so there will be another trip to look forward to and next time I will take some good quality photos.






1 comment:

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.